Only one specimen observed. Rains have begun in the area.
Beautiful tree. This is a pioneer species that is occasionally left to grow. The wood is light and not generally considered to be useful.
These were the most common Anolis species in the area and several were observed basking on trees and rocks.
These birds are occassionally seen running around wild in Haiti. This appeared to be a wild one.
Approximately five of these were observed for the first time after several visits to this area.
I observed four of these beautiful lizards today all between 09:30-10:30. Prior to today I had only observed one in this canyon, this being the only prior example that I'd seen in Haiti.
This was the most common lizard species observed today. They were typically on the ground basking in diffuse light, but this large (female) was on a tree.
I observed three adults of this species today. A record for this canyon.
This owl was sitting on tree about 10 am in the morning. We later saw another at Fort Druet at about 5,500 feet in a drizzle. Coincidentally I had seen a pair in Vivy Mitchel, in Port au Prince, on Saturday but didn't manage to get decent pictures.
A pair of this species was observed copulating. This was the only lizard species observed in the area, including several large individuals almost 8 inches long.
These were extremely common on this overcast day with probably over a 100 individuals of all sizes out basking on rocks.
Several beautiful trees observed in the area. However, this species was rare in rural areas.
Observed at night. Appears to be a first for Haiti.
Only one specimen observed in extreme southwestern Haiti. I believe it is this Genus but it could be others e.g. Pseudochrysops or Leptotes.
Haiti's unique flora and fauna is for the most part endangered by habitat degradation and human impacts. The fact that only 2% of Haiti's territory is still "forested" doesn't tell the whole story. Unfortunately, the other 98% is often devoid of vegetation and managed unsustainably managed. Nonetheless, some biodiversity still remains. What kinds and how much we don't really know. Therefore...