- I found wild ambystoma mavortium melanostictum on rainy evening in yard.
- He did not look very old, I suspect he recently morphed not too long before found.
- The area is very suburban, so unsure where he originated.
- I captivated him. Currently he's grown a lot and is very healthy.
- I learned a lot about herping since obtaining him, and am interested in observing animals in their natural wild state.
-Photos: First two were taken the night I found him (no natural shots, sorry). Last few were taken recently whilst captive.
Barred tiger salamander, dip netted from pond. East Foundation Ranch, south Texas. Day 2, site 3.
The barred tiger salamander or western tiger salamander (Ambystoma mavortium) is a species of mole salamander found from southwestern Canada in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, south through the western United States to Texas and northern Mexico.