I only saw one individual, found walking on the road. Lifer!!
- I found wild ambystoma mavortium melanostictum on rainy evening in yard.
- He did not look very old, I suspect he recently morphed not too long before found.
- The area is very suburban, so unsure where he originated.
- I captivated him. Currently he's grown a lot and is very healthy.
- I learned a lot about herping since obtaining him, and am interested in observing animals in their natural wild state.
-Photos: First two were taken the night I found him (no natural shots, sorry). Last few were taken recently whilst captive.
5 specimens captured
The barred tiger salamander or western tiger salamander (Ambystoma mavortium) is a species of mole salamander found from southwestern Canada in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, south through the western United States to Texas and northern Mexico.