5 seen during a Tiger Jeep Safari.
Two seen on roadside trees by the Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary.
Associated with Spotted deers
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hanuman langurs are largely gray, with a black face, which is thought to relate to Hanuman, a monkey warrior from the Ramayana who burnt his tail and face trying to rescue Rama's wife. Males are up to 75 cm (2.3 ft) long, and females 65 cm (2.1 ft). Langurs from the southern part of their range are smaller than those from the north.
Seven subspecies of the Hanuman langur, constituting different varieties across South Asia, are recognized today:
* Nepal Gray Langur Semnopithecus schistaceus
* Kashmir Gray Langur Semnopithecus ajax
* Tarai Gray Langur Semnopithecus hector
* Northern Plains Gray Langur Semnopithecus entellus
* Black-footed Gray Langur Semnopithecus hypoleucos
* Southern Plains Gray Langur Semnopithecus dussumieri
* Tufted Gray Langur Semnopithecus priam
Gray langurs or Hanuman langurs, the most widespread langurs of the Indian Subcontinent, are a group of Old World monkeys constituting the entirety of the genus Semnopithecus. All taxa have traditionally been placed in the single species Semnopithecus entellus. In 2001, it was recommended that several distinctive former subspecies should be given full species status, so that seven species are recognized. A taxonomic classification with fewer species has also been proposed.Genetic evidence suggests that the Nilgiri...