Planted by the Benedictine monks of Saint John's Abbey in 1896. Oldest known planted trees in the State of Minnesota.
This magnificent Eurasian common spruce (Norway is just a rather small part of range) seems to be about 50 m. high with branches far down the trunk.
Tree located near the northern point of the lakefill (near the athletic fields on the east side). Tree is approximately 20-25 feet tall with a trunk approximately 1 foot in diameter. Bark is rough at the bottom and grey. Short (less than 2 cm), singular, pointed green needles attach to stem by a short woody peg. Needles have a square cross section.